A beautiful fishing village famous for its beautiful sunsets and located in one of the largest bays in the world. "It retains the name given by the colonial authorities to protect the area from contraband, where a guard-post was installed. The site exists, according to historical, sources since 1536, when it was visited by Juan de Castellanos, ...; soldier and priest, poet and chronicler "*.
Located northeast of the Island, just minutes from the airport, the coastal strip joins the Laguna de La Restinga to form one of the longest beaches on the island and in South America. Its beautiful views and the Macanao horizon punctuated by the "tits of Maria Guevara" are inspiration for painters and writers. Its streets, its fishermen's houses are presented, old, painted, arranged, with past and present. In them, the taste of fish is the distinguished offering, the selling of vegetables for the dish of the day and the traditional flavors of the sea, of La Restinga village and of La Guardia: the taste of mussels, octopus and coro-coro fish, the flavor of guacuco snails, chipi-chipi shellfish and oysters; making it an obligatory stop for the well informed palate.
On May 24, the town's patron, Virgin Mary Auxiliadora , dresses up to welcome visitors and honor the natives of the area with beautiful processions, masses and cultural events in the square in front of the church, blessing those who visit so they can safely return again.
* Historical data: Bustillos Fierro, Lourdes Margarita Preciosa. Editions PDVSA La Estancia. Caracas, 2008)